Thursday, 25 April 2013

Leather and Lace


Well hellooooooo peeps!

I hope everyone is well and busy crafting? I have been!!

My creation today was made for the HDH DT as part of the Smeared and Smudged DT Throwdown.
The theme (as chosen by us because we won last time) is
'Leather and Lace',
and I jumped at the chance to get in there and make something!!
Loooooove this combo, so coooool. lol. This was me back in the day, well, pvc mainly, couldn't afford real leather apart from the jacket with tassles!! lol

Well, I couldn't resist creating a brand NEW image for this theme, and so here it is sporting the same name as the theme - 



What do ya think? You like her?? Hee-hee!

I just knew I had to make something that had both REAL leather and actual lace on it, so off I went to ebay land and spent a flipping fortune (me BAD!)
Then I had to decide what to make with it, a card, a box, alter something...I decided on a twisted easel card and a napkin fold envelope to match (sort of).


Above is the start of the card base where I created the fold that makes the twist. Then I trimmed the excess off the top to make it a square card. The front piece is made separately as I had layers and lacey bits to hide before adding to the base card. The lace with ribbon is actually some costume trim. To the top of that I stuck some lace trim that has ribbon roses attached, looks much yummier IRL.
The base layer of the front is not real leather sadly. It is actually a sample piece of PVC I got from ebay for a quid (£1). I added some real metal studs to the corners, then smeared silver rub-on stuff over it all in an attempt to make it all look vintage and dusty.


For the bottom of the card I had to buy some leather effect card. I made it look lice a bodice that you lace up. Those are metal eyelets and a REAL leather trim up the sides! I put some spare lace behind it too. The tie-up bit is a boot lace I had spare.
I also bought me a yummy crochet lace flower with beads dangling from it to which I added a backing punched flower. The frame is a spellbinders one, layered with some deep red card to match her hair.
The image was coloured with my watercolour pencils, rescanned and printed for layering up with foam pads.
Below is the finished card:


Then for the envelope.
I used a tutorial from SCS as a basis to make it, using a 12"x12" piece of black bazzil.
Here is stage one with all the folds done:


I smudged silver rub on all over the creases for an aged effect, then started to decorate with some guippuir lace trim I had. This was cut into bits and stuck front and back.


Then I got cutting loads of spellbinders die shapes, did lots of embossing, gluing and smudging then adding studs and gem brads to make little panels for the corner pieces.


And here we have the finished envelope!
But how to keep it together?


A trip to Tesco and a bought belt later (ouch - tenner!!) I had my fastening. The belt needed to be shortened though, so I cut most of it off and punched (well, drilled) new holes. Ta-daaa!! 


 So, here we are with a close-up of the card front, followed by an even closer view of the 'Leather & Lace' image:



A view of the card about to be wrapped in it's envelope:


And finally, a view of the card and envelope together:


Phew, that was a bit photo heavy!! lol. Hope you are still there peeps??

That concludes my efforts for the HDH DT Throwdown entry.
Voting begins on Thursday at midnight, and continues through Friday, so if you like this piece and the other stunning makes from the HDH Team, head over to the S&S forum on ning and get voting for us!!! (pleeeeeaaase!?!?!?)
It only takes a minute to join up, and costs nothing, so go for it folks!
See you there. . .
xxx

Some other challenges I am entering with this make:-

Crafting by Design - Anything Goes
Digi-Stamps4 Joy - Bling on an Easel
Paper Pretties - Fabulous Folds
Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes
Stampavie - Lots of Die Cuts
Cheerful Stamp Pad - Gothic Cuties
Make My Monday - Fancy Folds
Oooh La La - Easel Card
Stamp & Create - Use at least One Die Cut

25 comments:

Pascale Mitchell said...

Utterly Fabulous xxx

Jacki Daniels said...

Stunning Teri simply stunning love it

DonnaMundinger said...

OMG, GORGEOUS, Teri! Love the new image and WOW on the fabulous details. You rocked this challenge BIG TIME! (But of course there was never any doubt.) xxD

Desire Fourie said...

Such a beautiful creations with great attention to detail. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
Hugs
Desíre
{Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Oh my! Teri, this is just stunning! I always admire your labor intensive projects with the crowning jewel artwork. Beautiful in every way. No one works with Spellbinders and rub and buff, quite like you do! GO HDH!!!!

Happycrafter Shell said...

WOW!!!! this is out of this world! all of that detail and the time it must have taken are most certainly worth it, I really love it! xx

Ally White Cat said...

your piece is beautiful. I love the image and your creative process is just wonderful. Lovely Teri.

susan s

Andrea C said...

Just WOW TEri and a tutorial too. You ROCK xx

KarinsArtScrap said...

Wow this is Gorgeous Teri beautiful made.
Thanks for join us at DigiStamps4Joy.
Hope you join us next time.

Greetings karin DT member

Laura Mackie said...

Wow this is gorgeously grungey love love love it... Love the belt, the fancy fold woowwwww thank you for joining us this week at make my Monday xx

Mynnette said...

OH my word, all the fabulous detail! LOVE the texture and fabulous elements--all that hard work really paid off! Thanks for joining us at MMM! :)

I Don't Do Straight said...

STUNNING Teri! the new image is beautiful and the envelop is gorgeous! I wish, I wish, I wish I was as clever as you! :)

Chris D. said...

Teri this is GORGEOUS! Love that image, perfect for this challenge, and that envelope is fabulous!

~Lady B~ said...

Holy Hell! You have put an extreme amount of work into your card and envelope and your efforts are well noted. I am a drooling mess looking in awe at your masterpiece, Terri! If only I had an ounce of your talent I would be a happy lass! Absolutely fabulous!

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Hi Teri,
Amazing and very impressive! TFS your in-the-making process. I love the greyish shades; must give this color a try as I rarely use it =D Thank you for playing along with us at Digistamps 4 Joy and we hope to see you again. Good Luck :)
Hugs,
Asmah
[DS4J DT Member]
[Qinaahana Arts And Crafts ~ My Personal Blog]

PetraB said...

This is striking with all its details! Thank you for playing along with the Cheerful Stamp Pad.

Michele said...

your card turned out beautifully! thank you for joining our gothic cuties challenge at the cheerful stamp pad!

arlsmom aka Lynda said...

Wow...what an amazing card!!! Thank you for joining the challenge with us at Digistamps4Joy!!!

Krisha said...

AWESOME card and envelope, and a great tutorial on it.
Thanks for joining The Cheerful Stamp Pad's Gothic Cuties" challenge

Nicolchen said...

A wonderful creation you´ve made :0)))

Thanks for joining us at Stampavie and more ;0)

Hugs Nicole

Purple Crazy said...

A fabulous Easel card, love the tut too, thanks for sharing at OLLCB x

Julia said...

Such a beautiful creations with great attention to detail. Thanks for joining us at Crafting By Designs. Good luck.
Hugs
Julia

Melissa Bove (SCS ~ Melissa1872) said...

Wow! What an amazing card!! Such a fab design! Love it!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Hugs...
Melissa

Vicki Romaine said...

This is a great project. I love the buckled envelope. Thanks for sharing at The Cheerful Stamp Pad.

Suzi B said...

Oh WOW!... these are fabulous so much to look at Thank you for joining us at MMM
Suzi B x