Monday, 4 February 2013

POE - Romantic or Lunatic?

Hiya folks!

Ugh, what a crappy weekend I just had. Friday morning I woke at 5am with a raging IBS attack, followed very swiftly by my daughter's flipping cold. Plu I had to work Friday, Saturday and Sunday night with my face streaming and sneezing all over the sink. Good job I am not one of the servers!! lol

Not much better this morning. The face just won't stop leaking which is a darned nuisance when taking the dog out for a walk in the snow showers. I need three pairs of hands!! (Sorry son, I borrowed your deerstalker hat)

Anyway, while I can still see I thought I had better pop in and announce the new theme this fortnight at Macabre Monday, which is:

Poetry and Prose of Poe: Romantic or Lunatic?

You are to create a dark, Gothic, or Hallowe'en based art piece
using Poe's writings to personify love or lunacy.


Now I'm the first to admit that I find poetry very difficult to read. I have no idea why, it just doesn't work for me. Much rather have a good novel to digest.

But I forced myself to read a few of Poe's poems, and noticed a few similarities in some of them. Mostly they are quite sorrowful and lamenting, going on about souls lost, death, moonlit waters, mountains and ethereal mists. I see him as a hopeless romantic, with an obsession with death.

So I came up with a new image based around the common threads in his poems. This was used on my Delicious Doodles Group as a prize in a competition, and the name I chose for it was won by Gloria

The image is now named - 'La Llorona' (The Weeping Woman)
and will be in the Delicious Doodles Shop on Wednesday.




 I decided to make my card into a monochrome easel card, and have used one of my new papers from the 'Swirly Heart Paper' set for my dp.



Everything else is from the stash. Frame cut using spellbinders die. Flower cut with a Tim Holtz die. Bow hand tied by myself, and charm hand made by me too! Twiggy bits are done using punches.



I will leave you with a close-up of the image. No layers here, just flat as it printed.



Challenges I am entering -

Challenges 4 Everybody - Always Anything Goes
One Stop Craft Challenge - Anything Goes
Stamping 4 The Weekend - Use Something Metal
(Charms, corner 'nails')
Totally Papercrafts - Make your own Embellies
Really Reasonable Ribbons - Monochrome plus ribbon/trim
Crafting Cafe - Anything Goes
Crafty Ribbons - Anything Goes plus ribbon
Quoth The Raven - Anything POES
Simply Create - Anything Goes



18 comments:

Alison said...

I think this is fabulous, Teri. I love, love that new image...I will need to add it to my collections. As always, all of your details are amazing.

DonnaMundinger said...

Oh Teri! love, love, love, love, LOVE this! The image is beyond fabulous and Glo's name is PERFECT! You've really captured the essence of Poe's poetry here and the papers and embelllies are gorgeous. Perfect in the monotone and leaving the image flat makes it look like an old photo that's been enshrined. Gives me chills! xxD

mark gould said...

such a beautiful image and a great card you have made with it. x hope you feel better soon

Dawn Lancaster said...

Teri, this is beautiful! I love the image & your monochrome tones!Thanks so much for joining us at The Crafting Cafe for our first ever challenge!
Good Luck
Hugs
Dawn xx
PS feel better soon!x

veecassidycrafts said...

Brilliant art, Teri. Hope you feel some improvement soon. Vee xx

ike said...

Super, stunning creation Teri. Gobsmackingly AWESOME !!!!
I hope you get to feeling better really soon. Sending healing vibes IKE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ike said...

Wonderful to see you playing along with us over at QUOTH THE RAVEN. Thanks Hun
IKE xxxxxxxxxxx

Joan Macdonald said...

Fabulous image and the card you have made is amazing. Thank you for joining us at Challenges4 Everybody.

Joan x

KraftyKoolKat said...

This is awesome Terri. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Totally Papercrafts.

Hugs
Cathy DT
xxxxxx

Happycrafter Shell said...

so beautiful!! I love the papers and that image is just gorgeous, (off to shop) lol

Thank you for joining us at Quoth the Raven xx

Sarahshandmadecardsx said...

An amazing card. I love the image and your details.

Thanks for joining us this week at The One Stop Crafts Challenge and good luck.

Sarahx

Sue - bearhouse said...

WOW!! This is wonderful. I love your image and the detailing you have added is fantastic.
Thank you for taking part in the Stampin' for the weekend Challenge.
Sue

Andrea C said...

This is one absolutely GORGEOUS card. You have outdone yourself and who would have thought that possible x

sparklingblackrose said...

Just gorgeous Teri :-) Thank you so much for joining us at Crafty Ribbons this time, hope to see you again soon :-) Elaine DT -xxx- p.s I have candy if you would like to pop by and enter :-) http://sparklingblackrose-craftmylife.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/new-candy.html

Marlene Atkinson said...

this is gorgeous. Thank you for joining us at the Crafting Cafe Challenge this month. Marlene DT

Michelle B. said...

Oh my gosh, I thought you made a frame until I realized it was your card! Amazing!! So glad you joined us for our Anything Goes Challenge at The Crafting Cafe!

Bonnie said...

Great card! Thanks so much for participating in our Really Reasonable Ribbon Challenge.

Sylvia Anderson said...

Lovely image, Great layout & i love the charms x
Thank you for joining in the challenge over at the Crafting Cafe x