Friday, 17 June 2011

Fluttery Bits and a Tutorial

Hiya folks!

Hope you haven't missed me too much?? Been rather busy just lately and haven't had any spare time to blog sadly! Even missed making a card for last week's challenge at Delicious Doodles. But not so this week!!

I have made amends by making up this tutorial today.
A few weeks back I made a sort of easel card with two sides to it, and was asked by several peeps to do a tutorial for how I made it, so for this week's 'Things that Flutter' theme at the Delicious Doodles Challenge, I combined it with this tut!

So be warned folks - very photo heavy posting!!!! LOL


OK, so I started by printing out a few of my Small Butterfly images, in various sizes, just in black and white with no extra colouring. I also printed out my newest image, Lovey-Dovey Silhouette, and a sentiment that says 'congratulations!'. Then I gathered various bits of card, black bazzil, normal white card and some white linen effect card. I cut an A5 (210mm x 148mm) sized piece of white linen card for the base.

Then I cut a piece of normal white card into a 148mm x 296mm, folded it lengthways to make 148mm x 148mm, then folded it diagonally to get the bit you need for the easel part. I also cut a 100mm x 200mm piece and did the same to that for the smaller part of the easel. This is how both pieces looked after I did that:


Then I trimmed down the square unfolded bit and stuck some double sided tape to the trimmed edges like so:


I stuck the larger piece to the behind of the A5 sized panel on the left, and the smaller piece to the top like this:


This is how it looks with the pieces stuck on and folded:


Now for the fun bits! LOL
I cut two shapes using my shapeabilities die and smudged the edges in black ink:


With one shape I stuck it to some black bazzill and smudged silver metallic rub on over the black, and then mounted my sentiment panel onto it:


The second shape I cut into quarters, and then trimmed the sticky-outy bits to look like this:


Then I stuck these onto another piece of black bazzill, with the Lovey-Dovey Silhouette image stuck on top of that, also smudged with silver rub on:


Next I stuck the sentiment panel onto the easel part at the top, but remembered to turn it sideways so it went the right way for standing up. Did that wrong before, and it came out sideways when I stood that bit up!


To the image panel I added a strip of linen card and punched out the side with a MS 'around the page' punch, smudged with black ink again, and then mounted it onto the easel part on the left side:


And here it is, the base construction, but without any added froo-froo:


Are you still with me folks???!!! LOL

If you are, I am going to show you how I make my butterflies stand out.

I start with my fussy cut butterflies, or punched shapes for that matter


I fold by butterflies in half along the body and by both wings, like so:


Then, with the bone folded I curl the wing over it which makes it bend like this:


Do that on both sides, and ta-da! One 3d butterfly!

Anyone interested in how I make my flowers? OK, well here goes!

First I punch some shapes with my selected punches:


Then using my inks and rub ons I smudge the petal edges:


With one shape in the palm of my hand, I use the back end of the bone folder to rub the centre of the shape to get it to curl and make a basin shape


Then holding each shape by the centre, I use the bone folder again to curl the petals, like I did with the butterfly wings


For the smaller flowers shapes I use the rounded end of a pen to press the centre downwards


Then it's just a case of assembling with a bit of glue, and whatever you want to use for the centre. I have used some silver brads for this card, but I could have used a gem or a bead.


Now, to finish my card, I added all my little butterflies, the flowers, some curling ribbon, regular organza ribbon, some black swirly sticky shapes and some pearls:


And there you have it! The finished card:


Phew!!  I don't know about you, but I need more coffee!!

Hope you find this tutorial useful folks. . .

I'm off to find some challenges to enter this into now then.
Don't forget to pop by the Delicious Doodles Challenge blog and enter your flutterings!

Love and hugs,
Teri xx

Challenges:

Delightful Challenges - Anything Goes
Papercrafting Journey - Feathered Friends
ABC - W for Wedding
Paper Shelter - Punches and Dies
Stampavie - Butterflies
Bearly Mine - Anything Goes
My Time to Craft - More than one image
Cheerful Stamp Pad - Winged Things
Polka Doodles - Pretty things with wings
Crafty Catz - More than one fold

30 comments:

Jackie Thomas said...

Oh wow Teri, what a truly stunning project. so much effort has gone into creating this gorgeous piece of art. thank you so much for sharing and joining in this weeks ABC Challenge.
Hugs xo

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Teri,
This is a fabulous creation and a brilliant tutorial to follow. Thank you so much for sharing.
Hopefully I'm getting back to normal so look forward to visiting you regularly.
Hugs,
Fiona x

Janette said...

This is really stunning, what a gorgeous card, thanks for sharing it with us at CraftyCatz this week.xx

AN said...

WAUU-Teri-aivan siis mahdottoman kaunis kokonaisuus--ja hieno ohje!
Kiitos kun jaat tämä meidän ABC-haasteen kanssa
Onnea arvontaan
Kaunista kesää sinulle sinne<3

Sue said...

Hi hun
fabulous tutorial, totally stunning card, far to hard for me! lol have lovely weekend, sue,x

mulberry station said...

gorgeous, gorgeous card Teri. Thanks for sharing I tutorial. I will be back to look at it again.
Hugs, Nancy

Vicky said...

WOW......I've blooming missed your creations sweetie but you've come back with a bang.....omg this is amazing hun love love love it!! A fabulous tute & you've used my fave die so that alone got my attention lol. Love the idea of cutting that die cut into quarters & using the corners you know I will be using that lol....so expect see your name on me blog when I do.
Hope things are going ok shug & I cant wait to see what you have been up to.....
Have you missed my little stories......dont say no cus these comments can sure get longer ya know.....very long!!! Howay its me Miss Gab-A-Lot lol.

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow teri this is gorgeous, you have made a beautiful card.
thanks for the tutorial.

greetings karin

NancyD said...

Amazing! Really wonderful effect - black and white. Love all the elements and the tutorial.

Lynda said...

What a striking card Teri and an excellent tutorial.

Love Lynda xxx

Allison said...

this is just soooo gorgeous can't beat black and white for class
Allisonx

Debs said...

Gorgeous card , great flower tutorial, thanks for joining us at TPS this week.
Hugs Debs

Flutterby Trina said...

Stunning and what a fab tutorial, i will be back to see that in a while! Love the butterflies! Thanks for playing along this week at Tip Top Tuesday with our 'anything' challenge! Good Luck, hope to see you again next week x

Dawn said...

Hi Teri, What a stunning card! So many gorgeous and perfect details. I love how you have cut up the die to make individual corners - looks amazing! Thanks for joining us this week at Crafty Catz. Hugs, Dawn

Chrissie said...

Superb tutorial and stunning card!
Thanks so much for joining us at My Time to Craft this week.
Chrissie

Linda said...

This card is stunning! So many details and beautiful things to see! Great tutorial also! Thx for joining us at SAM challenge blog. Hugs, Linda.

tiggertastic said...

This is so amazing, i am going to have to try this myself

Thanks for sharing

Sarah xx

Caroljenks said...

Wow, Wow, Wow! This is awesome! What a beautifully stylish card and you've topped it all off with a fantastic tutorial too!!! (and very easy to follow)

Thanks for joining us this week for our 'Open Challenge' over at Top Tip Tuesday.
Good Luck.

Carol x

CRAZYCRAFTSHED said...

Hi Teri
A stunning card just love what you have done,fab tutorial and thankyou for joining us this week at CraftyCatz,
hugs Dianne xx

Vanessa (aka V'ness, Nessa, oldschool) said...

Wow Teri!
Stunning B&W combo :)
do love me B&W!

PetraB said...

A fantastic card and a great tutorial. Thank you for sharing your project and thank you for joining the Cheerful Stamp Pad challenge.

gina g said...

Wow this is amazing, thanks for the great tutorial. Thanks for joining us at Bearly Mine this time. luv gina xx

sallysbitz said...

This is truly a stunning card & sooo different.

Thanks for joining us @ Delightful Challenges & Good Luck x

hugs sally x
sallysbitz.blogspot.com

alethea said...

WOW, what an absolutely beautiful card!!! Great Tutorial. Thanks for joining us at PCj for the Our Feathered Friends Challenge!! Hugs xx

Curlybear said...

Oh my this is stunning work and I love the monochromatic colour theme,

Thank you so much for joining us at Crafty Catz this week, for our Fancy Folds,

Good Luck with the challenge,
Hugs Bridget Crafty Catz DT :0)x

Mona E said...

OH MY what a fabulous creation and tut. Thanks for sharing both with us at Crafts and Me. Hugs...Mona

Gram's Treasures said...

Wow, what an amazing card and tutorial. From the picture on the challenge page, I thought this was 3 different items. Good job I came over for a better look.
Joyce xx

rosalien said...

Fabulous!!! This is so beautiful, love it, just like your tutorial. :)) thanks for sharing it with us and joining DC.

Hugs, Rosalien

Kim. said...

Wow what a gorgeous project, lovely images, love the black and white and your tutorial is easy to follow. Thanks for joining us this month at Crafty Calendar Challenges.
Kim xXx

Debbie M said...

WOW this card is amazing!! the attention to detail, all the beautiful details, and the elegance of the black and white. Truly beautiful!