Friday, 22 April 2011

A Father's Day Card

Hiya folks!

Yeah, I know it's a tad early for making Father's Day cards, but I wanted to see how this one looked before deciding whether I was going to use it or not.

A few weeks back I doodled this image of a Vintage Spitfire:


And I have been wanting to use it on a card, so decided that this week'
 'Anything Goes' theme at
The Delicious Doodles Challenge
was the perfect time to try it out. And here is what I made with it:


I had some mottled dp in my digi-stash to thought that would be perfect for a camoflaged look. Can't see it too well now though. It's not too great IRL either. Decided on a vintage look, so I printed the image in a sepia colour, but it is a bit pale, so I think I may replace it with a black version for the card I send to my Dad. Here is a close-up:


I have added gold coloured dots round part of the card, and a fake stiched effect on the left panel. Added a wee bit of bling with the gold brads, and used an old fashioned typeface for the sentiment (called Broadway).

Honest opinions now, does it work? I'm in two minds. I know we are our own worst critics, but this somehow looks a little dull and unimpressive to me.

Anyroadup - hope you can join us this week - remember - anything goes!!!

Challenges -
Top Tip Tuesday - Open theme
Meljens Designs - Masculine
Stamp Insanity - Use Metal
Ladybugs Crafts Ink - Anything Goes
Bunny Zoe - For the Boys

16 comments:

Lynda said...

What a fab image Teri and such a great card for a Dad.

Lynda xxx

Janet said...

Great card! thanks for joining the asylum this week!
hugs

Saskia said...

Great card Teri!!!

Sweet greetings, Saskia :)

cg said...

I know what you mean about being your own worst critic, but I think it definitely works. Everything comes together and it certainly doesn't look dull to me! The plane is gorgeous.

Amanda R said...

I always point out what I think should be changed also, I think that is a commonality amongst all of us but I love the card. You are very talented being able to draw like that and I am sure your dad will love it. Thanks for playing along at LCI this week!

KarinsArtScrap said...

this is a great image teri, and your card is beautiful, a real men card.

greetings karin

angelwhispers said...

It looks fab teri you really are too hard on yourself!!! Love the image and the papers look so cool!!!

Hope you have a great Easter with your little ones. Chanelle xxx

Sue said...

Hi hun
fab image, gorgeous card, luv how its 3d, great design,have lovely weekend, sue,x

Sugar said...

I'm sure he'll love it! Thanks for playing along with Stampinsanity!!

Vicky said...

Do you know what I think this is fantastic hun I would be darn proud of this I can tell ya. I love the colour of the plane & tbh I think it may have looked harsh in black against these colours, I could be wrong mind lol. I really love this colour tho hun.
Ooooh anything goes I love those I'm popping over now to finally get that image I want....yeah I moan cus I had to wait then to take the darn p*** I'm late buying it grrrrr....

Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

Sprytebyrd said...

Awesome card! Love the dimension and great image!
Thanks so much for playing along at Meljen's Designs this week!
Hugs!! Dee Sprytebyrd's Sentiments

Dianna said...

Fabulous card, Teri!! I love the dimension & color of the image!

Thank you for joining us at Meljen's Designs for our Masculine Challenge!  Hope to see you again next week!

~ Di, Meljen's DT Member

Rica said...

Fabulous card Teri, great colours and I love that image and your 3D-ing of it. I like it in the pale colours as well, perhaps if you used and non-white background it would be more to your liking!!

So glad you could join us at Truly Scrumptious,
Heather xx

Juanita said...

Great masculine card, love the dimension on the airplane. Thanks for sharing with us at StampInsanity.

Jane said...

Hi Teri
This looks fantastic a card any dad would be proud to receive
Thanks for playing at StampinSanity
Luv Jane xxx

Susan's crafty chaos said...

Teri, you are way too hard on yourself, this is just perfect! Thanks so much for playing along with our Heavy Metal challenge at StampInsanity this week :D