Thursday, 27 May 2010

A Wierd Bat-erfly

Hiya folks!

Another wet and cold, windy day here in NE Scotland, but are we downhearted?? NA!! Just another excuse to stay inside and craft!! LOL

I have a bit of a wierd creation to share with you today. I saw the new challenge at Haunted Design House and wanted to play along this week. The theme is 'Beastly Butterflies'. Well, we all know that butterflies are beautiful creatures, but how do you make them beastly?? My wierd and warped mind went into overdrive for this one, and I came up with a new creature - a Beastly BAT-erfly!! LOL. It's a cross between a Bat and a Butterfly:


I have loaded this into my shop, Delicious Doodles, should anyone be interested in it. . . So, next job was to find a way of incorporating it into a card or project, so I opted to use the sketch over at Midnight Madness for it:


Go check them out over there. They are having a 'people's choice' vote for the new Priscilla Award, and yours truly has one of her cards from this last year in the top 20 - yeay! Not much chance of me winning, especially when half of their DT is in the list too, but it would be nice to get over 10 votes, so come on folks - get over there and VOTE FOR ME!! Pretty please, with little pink bows on. . .!!??

Enough already! Back to the creation. I had some fun making this card. I had been to my local craft shop especially for the Core-dinations card I used here. I wanted black and purple, so went for a black with purple core, and a purple with lilac core. Yummy - me likes purple! (you wouldn't have guessed that would you - LOL)


So, I distressed the bejaysus out of it, with torn edges to the purple card, and sand-papered the black after cuttlebugging it with a swirly folder. Then I got out my MS border punch for the edge of that, and backed it with silver mirri. The ribbon wrapped to the side is from my stash, a silver metallic and a black with silver thread in it. I stitched (yes - sewing!!) some silver thread through the card for the laced up details on the sketch, and tied it in a bow. A tip for you here - you know when using this type of thread it tends to fray at the ends? Well I stuck a wee bit of glue on the tips just to stop it doing that, hope that helps someone. . .


Next job was to do the slanted bit, so I got out my Fleur-de-Lys die and cut come pearlescent clack with it. This die is beautiful, but it's a pain in the bum to get the card out without ripping it! I traced round the outside of the die to cut the silver mirri I used to back it. This was all raised with foam pads. The flowers I made with spare bits from my bits box, with silver brad centres and stickled purple dots on the petals. I raised these too using foam pads.


Next job was my image. I printed my Bat-erfly out onto white card, pretty large so I could colour it without going over the lines (hopeless at colouring, I've decided). Used my usual watercolour pencils here, blended traditionally with brush and water. Then I scanned it to the compy and printed out three times, cut out the bits I wanted and stuck them to the card. I bent the wings over a bit on the second layer for extra dimensional interest.

My last job was to make a matching box-a-lope, which I did using Priscilla's Box-a-lope template kit and some more purple Core-dinations. I rubbed it all over with the sandpaper, and put metallic silver rub-on over the edges. I added another flower and a few sticky silver dots - job done!


Must say, I am pretty darned chuffed with how this came out. Just as I had it pictured in my mind, which doesn't always happen I'll tell ya! LOL.

I am entering a few other challenges too with this project:

Crafts and Me - Distressing
Creative Inspirations - Distressing
Flutterby Wednesday - Open theme (hope the Bat-erfly counts?)
Cute Card Thursday - No Designer Papers (sorry, not too cute here LOL)
Sir Stampalot - Butterflies and Blossoms


Righty then folks, off to do some HW - ugh! and some more DT work too, yeay! And don't forget to VOTE FOR ME!! LOL

29 comments:

Vicky said...

Hi there I've just found your blog thru CCT challenge blog. I'm pretty new to blogging, only been doing it couple of months. Anyway I just wanted to say your card is truly AMAZING!!!!! I've never seen anything like it, its took me 10 minutes to leave a comment because I couldn't stop looking at it. WOW WOW WOW & WOW, good luck in the challenge. You are very very talented.

Hugs Vicky xx

tracy said...

wow Teri this is stunning, such a fabulous design and gorgeous colour, of to vote for you now. Tracy x

NGCARDS said...

This is fantastic hun, great work! Thanks for joining in this week at Creative Inspirations Wednesday Challenge Blog! xxx

Kim said...

Love this batteerfly! The way you colored it up and your design are terrific! The big fleur-de-lys is just perfect behind her. The little lacing on the card is a gorgeous touch!
Blessings,
kim xXx

Clare *Littlebear* said...

Wow! I just love your Bat-erfly - it's brilliant! Your card is amazing too.
Thank you for joining us at Sir Stampalot this month.
Clare x

Gunn (MsPlum) said...

Oooh! Tis is supercool! I love the Bater-fly! Love the colors and the disressing and the flowers! Did I say I love the color? Man I like this card!

I hope you get your votes up! I have decided to bite the dust. No chance I can beat Karen Lynn. She has got to many friends that lady! *LOL*

So glad you joined us for our Red Carpet week, we hope to see you again next week!

Mvh
Gunn
MMSC GD

Barb said...

WoW!! This is absolutely striking, Teri! The image is perfect, as are the colors... fantastic work :) Thanks so much for playing along with Macabre Monday!

crafty amy said...

You are just so creative Teri this is a stunning card and box and I love the image so gorgeously gothic :D

Hugs

Amy

P.S. You have got my vote

pinky said...

Stunning card, great image too. Thanks for sharing at Sir Stampalot this month
Pinky

Crafteezee said...

Stunning card and envelope box Teri, truly beautiful work of art. Love all the details. Can I ask if the envelope box purchased is an actual template for just a book of how to measure and score? Thanks for joining us at Crafts and Me. Hugs Tracy x

Deb said...

wow, amazing card, love it all! many thanks for joining in the CCT challenge, hugs Debx

chris said...

Hi teri
wow wee
what can I say.unbelievable.
hugs chris xx
thanks for joining in with the Sir Stampalot challenge.

Sally H said...

Very goth! Love it. Thanks for sharing with us at Sir stampalot and good luck!

Poppet said...

Great card Teri, I love all the dimension and texture you have managed to incorporate into your card. :-) xx

Francesca said...

That is wonderful very gothic
Thanks for joining us at sir stampalot this month And good luck !
Hugs
Francesca

Tracy said...

Gorgeous creation, thanks for joining Sir Stampalot’s Challenge, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Kristen said...

I LOVE bat-erfly! And your coloring of that image makes it come to life! I love your card and all the layers. So cool!

Suzie Q said...

Amazing card Teri!!
clever you off to vote x
hugs
Suzie qx

Trish Hughes said...

love this card and that image!!! loved it so much, had to go purchase it, thanks :)
Trish

Priscilla said...

Teri, you are so dang creative and you know I am a huge fan. I am loving your creations today..Your envelope is D' BOMB!!;) You rocked the sketch for sure too. Your colors are my FAVES and that bat-erfly is amazing. The coloring is way to cool. Congratulations on being a finalist this year..you deserve it to no end. Thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness sketch challenge. We love having you play with us. We have so many wonderful things planned for our 2nd year of challenges and we hope you’ll be on our next journey of creative activities :)
Off to enjoy my holiday weekend :)
Priscilla
MMSC Hostess.

Alex said...

I LOVE this Teri! I love everything you draw, but seeing you color and create with your own design is just jaw dropping!!!

DonnaMundinger said...

Drop DEAD GORGEOUS! I need that image! Fabulous! xxD

Renée said...

Oh I am in love with that butterfly. you did a great job coloring it. Stunning card.

gina g said...

Wow what a beautiful butterfly. Thanks so much for joining us at The Crafts and Me challenge this week. luv gina xx

Carol said...

Wowie Teri - You have so much dimension and texture on this stunning card. I could gaze upon it all night and not get my fill of the eye candy you created here. Just beautiful and a treasure to behold. Thanks for playing along with us this week at the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge.

Bear Hugs,
Carol :O}
Midnight Madness Design Team

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Wow, wow, wow! This is just the coolest card I have seen in quite awhile! Absolutely super design and the bat-terfly is amazing. Great job on the distressed challenge. So happy you could have some fun with us at Creative Inspirations this week!

stephanne said...

This is sooo fangtastic I don't know where to start!!! LOVE the ties in the paper and the image is fab!!! Thanks for joining us at Creative Inspirations this week!!
Stephanne

Annie said...

wow what a fabulous creation and I love all the different elements and the distressing. thanks for joining us at CCT.
hugs, annie x

foxyenglishcrafter said...

Wow! Awesome card. Love your design, layout and colours. Truly inspirational.

Thanks for sharing

Happy crafting

Julie