Wednesday, 3 March 2010

A Very Regal Butterfly

Hiya folks!

Yet another gorgeous morning here in North East Scotland. Yes it is very cold (minus four at 7.30am) but the sun is out, hardly a cloud in the sky. Here's hoping it warms up and some snow melts later. . .

My card today then has been made following another gorgeous sketch from the Midnight Madness Team:


Again, there is a choice of sketches, the one above, or a more simplified version. I prefer to try following the complicated one as it is more of a challenge for me, but that's what challenges are all about isn't it?

Luckily for me there are butterflies all over this sketch, and I loaded up some Butterfly images to my blog shop, Delicious Doodles on Monday. For this card then, I chose to use my Monarch Butterfly image. I have coloured this one using my graphics programme, and printed it out loads of times in various sizes.


I also dabbled with patterned paper for my backing here, by selecting a small part of the Butterfly's wing, and repeating it loads of times across the page, then making it into a tinted version too. I printed the non-tinted version on glossy photo paper along with the sentiment for a touch of glossiness.

The flower and leaves are made with punches, and I have splodged some gold rub-on over the black pieces, and also on the matted black bits too.


All the butterflies are raised from the card on foam pads. I have cut out some extra wings for them all and stuck them on top of the original shapes and folded the wings for some extra flutteriness. Just love that effect - gives the card a bit of a lift. My card base is some yellow pearlescent card which I have daubed orange ink round on the edges.


There are a few other challenges out there with 'Mother's Day' or 'Mum' as the theme, so I am entering it into these too:

Daring Cardmakers - 'Here Comes The Sun' (sunny colours and butterflies)
Simon Says Stamp - 'Mother's Day or Girly'

*********************************


On a seperate note, have you checked out this new challenge blog yet??

I have the pleasure of being one of the founding 'sistah's' of

'The Sisterhood of Crafters'

A different (we hope) type of challenge is going to be set each Wednesday, and we will be playing for fun and friendship, with no competitive urges - it's a stress-free zone!!

Come and join us, we are introducing our 'Sisters' over the next week, we'd love it if you popped over to say hello!

17 comments:

Lynda said...

Hi Teri - this is absolutely stunning! I love your butterflies and that is a fabulous sketch. You've done it proud. Thanks for joining us at Daring Cardmakers.

Love Lynda xxx

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Teri,
Well one word won't cover this. It's beautiful, graceful, adorable, stunning and adorable. Apart from that I love it. the flutterbies are gorgeous. Fantastic card.
Hugs,
Fiona x

JAN said...

fabulous card that really looks like a lot of work went into this marvellous creation..and who doesnt adore butterflies they are so symbolic

Carol said...

Teri you have captured the essence of the sketch to perfection right down to the size of the butterflies. This is captivating!!! What an awesome work of art. Thanks for playing along with us this week at Midnight Madness.

Bear Hugs,
Carol :o}
Midnight Madness Design Team

Net said...

That's so sweet!

Thanks for playing Gorjuss with us.

craftymum said...

So stunning! Thanks for joining us at TG
Love Sarah W XXX

Sally H said...

Teri, it's gorgeous! I've just shown Meg in the hope she might have a go at something similar!!!

Kim said...

OMG, breathtaking card! This is so very gorgeous!
blessings,
Kim xXx

Dragonlady said...

This is so gorgeous Teri, love how you have used the butterfly wing in the background, and perfect sentiment.

Hugs Ali x

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Terri - this is just stunning - your Monarch butterfly looks like it has landed straight from our garden! Gorgeous!! I love the way you have interpreted this sketch - it is so elegant and refreshing!! Love it Teri! We are glad you are able to play along with us at the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week, we are inspired by your cards and hope to see you next week! {{{hugs}}}
Linda MMSC Design Team

Clare said...

This is stunning. I love how you have created the background papers.
Clare x

Lythan said...

What beautiful butterflies Teri. thanks for sharing the sunshine with DCM this week:)

librariane said...

This is beautiful and professional looking! Your sense of layout, color choice and design is fantastic.

Kat said...

Thanks for joining us at TG this week with this gorgeous card Teri.

BTW I'm in North East too, north of Aberdeen.

Kat x

Priscilla said...

Oh Teri, I love your take on the sketch this week...that is just how I pictured a card would look..you made a beautiful card here... I had the pleasure of using sponsors images on my card this week, but I would have loved to use your butterflies :) Sorry the Huge givaway does not apply to you :( Thank you so much for your participating in our challenges. Lots of cool things happening on the Midnight Madness blog right now... Sneak Peek Priscilla (MMSC Hostess)

Sue said...

I absolutely love how you used the butterfly wings as your background paper, very creative. The butterflies are so beautiful and love all the different sizes. Thanks for sharing your card this week with us at MM.

Take care
Sue
March Guest

Chris (catt871) said...

What a beautiful card! Those butterflies are GORGEOUS!!! Your Mom will love it!! THANKS for joining us at Simon Says Stamp!!!
Chris & the DT