Friday, 18 December 2009

Vintage Black & White

Hiya folks!

Welcome to a my bit of cyberspace, and a small flurry of snow here in North East Scotland. Not enough to sniff at really, but of course they have it soooooo bad down in England! What, an inch or two at the most, a couple of drifts less than a foot deep, and the whole network closes down!! It really is laughable - GET OVER IT GUYS! How do you think the rest of the world copes with feet and feet of snow, yet an inch or two here and the whole country stops!!?? Honestly!

Right, that's my bit said, LOL.

Now to my card for the day. No Christmas here today (hoorah!) Roll on next Saturday, it'll all be over for another year. I'm all Christmassed out!!


I followed the sketch at Midnight Madness for this card, which had me thinking for a while. I have combined it with a couple of other challenges too. The colour scheme, or lack of it, is for the challenge at Whimsy Stamps, as they wanted 'Black and White' this week. And for the Digital Tuesday challenge, they want 'Birthdays'.

I decided with the black and white theme to make this a Vintage style card. I found a gorgeous Vintage Lady image on the net, can't remember where from, so if anyone knows, then please put me right!! I daubed some black ink in the background but very faint so as you could only just see it. Just made her a bit more prominent really.


For the backing card, I stuck some of my leftover wallpaper onto a blank. I am using this in my hallway. It is a textured paper with a lovely spongey feel. I daubed a bit of black ink over this too for a bit of light and shade, just to pick up on the texture really.

The black patterned corners are a damask pattern from Raspberry Road Designs, which I teamed up with a lovely border from MyGrafico and a strip of black organza ribbon. The text wasn't on the sketch, but I felt it needed a sentiment, so I raised this little panel to make it stand out a bit.

Last job was to figure out what to use in the circle shapes on the sketch. This had me rummaging through my brads stash, as I wanted something silvery and shiny, but alas - there wasn't any suitable shiny's for me to use - eeekk! I legged it round to my little sewing shop to try and find some shiny buttons - but oh no!! They were shut!! Not my day huh?? So I went next door and bought some Vino to drown my sorrows, and ta-da! The brain kicked in for a change, and I decided to make some flowers instead. So when I got home, I punched out some flowers with white, black and silver mirri, and popped a wee pearl in the middle, and I must say I am well pleased now. Just the right amount of bling without overdoing it.

Right, off to do a snow dance now then. I want more!!! Give me snow!!

20 comments:

Phyllis said...

A beautiful vintage creation! Love the image and your lovely embellishments. Great job!! The MMDesign Team thanks you for playing with us this week.

Phyllis MMDesign Team

Lynda said...

Wow Teri this is stunning - gorgeous textures and I love the image you found! Thank you for my gorgeous Christmas Card too.

Love Lynda xxx

Lovely Linda said...

Hi Teri - I LOVE this card - it is so fabulous! Love that image and would love to know where you found it - she is gorgeous!! Everything about your card is perfect and truly elegant! Thank you for playng along with the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week and for being such a regular player - we appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you againwith our next challenge! Happy Christmas to you and your family Teri! {{{hugs}}}

Jane, at Thepaperaffair said...

Agreed also, very nice image and very pretty card, I love how you pulled it all together. Thank you for joining us at Midnight Madness, so glad you could join us. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Jane MMSC DT

Michelle ~ daydreams505 said...

Teri, this is pure elegance. :) Everything goes so perfectly together and I love the flower embellishments. Have a wonderful Christmas! :)
Michelle MMDT

PaperCrafty said...

Beautiful card Teri!! I love the black & White with all the wonderful detail!! Great job!!

LINDA said...

OMGosh!! This is so stunning.. everything is perfect!!Love the image and all the details.. Very lovely work as always!!
Hugs, Linda
Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

Lil Daffodil said...

Hi Teri,
This has to be my favourite card for a long time. It's elegant, stylish and absolutely gorgeous.
A Stunner.
Hugs,
Fiona x

coldwaters2 said...

Oh wow Teri this is terrific love the use of textured wallpaper brilliant idea and that image is gorgeous I adore this black and white look thank you so much for sharing with us at Digital Tuesday

Hugs and happy holidays
Lorraine x

Vicki (basement stamper) said...

WOWZER!! Teri, this is sooo very stunning!! I love your images and your take on the challenges!! Thanks for joining us at Whimsy challenges!! HUGS

Carol said...

Teri....I am your Girl...I know where this image is from...LOL This is from Cora at Digital Two for Tuesdays and here is the link to it: http://digitaltuesday.blogspot.com/2009/06/digital-two-for-tuesday-2.html
I happen to have used this image myself, but not as wonderfully as you have here. This is just exquisite....I LOVE IT. Wonderful job. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all your support throughout the year for Midnight Madness and wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Hugs,
Carol
MMSC-DT

Christine said...

Hi this is one stunning creation love how you used wall paper, lovely embellies & gorgeous image thank you for joining us at Whimsy Stamps Challenge this wk.

Hugs Christine xx

Priscilla said...

WOW.. I love your card..It is totally my cup of tea..Your did a FANTASTIC job coming up with those flowers...I will have to remember your little trick.....Vino!!!!! LOL It all came together just beautifully.. Well done :) Thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness sketch Challenge this week. I know it will get busy in the next week or so, so I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas.
Priscilla
MMSC Hostess

Jennifer Scull said...

holy cow, girlfriend, I still haven't picked up my jaw from the floor...... this is GORGEOUS!!!!!! I mean really really GORGEOUS!!!!

Merry Christmas to you and yours! :)

Chris Olsen, Glowbug said...

This is gorgeous Teri!! Love the vintage image and the monochromatic color. Fantastic addition of dry embossing and detail. Great take on the sketch.
hugs,
Chris

Maria Matter said...

Wowza Teri, this is gorgeous!!!! Love everything about it!!!
Thank you so much for playing along with us @ Digital Tuesday!
Merry Christmas!
Blessings, Maria

Denise @ kc242 said...

Wow is right! This vintage black and white card is stunning. I love all of the details from the dp to the embellishments to your lovely image. What a great take on the sketch challenge. Thanks so much for joining us this week at MMSC!
Denise
Midnight Madness Design Team

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

WOWZA ... this is absolutely GORGEOUS!! LOVE what you've done here my friend!!!
I finally made time today to play the challenge and tomorrow's a new one?? Yikes, I'm so far behind!
Wishing you & yours a WONDERFUL holiday season!!! Your work continues to inspire me and I hope to catch up with you/your sweet images after the first of the year!!

cabio's craft corner said...

Thanks for giving us this beautiful card Teri. It's always a pleasure to come over to found out what you come up with the sketch each time! Thanks again for joining us and look forward to see you again for the next sketch :o)
Hugs,
Cabio

Sue said...

Stunning card, love the black and white and that image is wonderful. Congratulations on winning the challenge too!!