Tuesday, 27 October 2009

White Poinsettia

Hi again folks, second post of the day, so scroll down to see the first.

This card is for four challenges, so without further ado, I'll get on with it!

I have been wanting to draw a Poinsettia for ages, but never got round to it, until now. I saw some lovely 3d flowers on the net, can't remember where now, and thought I'd try doing a flower shape a bit like that, but with the Poinsettia instead of regular flowers.

It just so happens that at Rosie-Dee's the theme is the colours of carrot, courgette and to have a flower. This has had be beat for a while! But after doing the Poinsettia I wanted to use it for this challenge.


Then I found that the Secret Crafters Saturday Challenge wanted colours too, of Orange and one other. This set me thinking that maybe I could make the flower a white one instead of the regular red, as you do get white Poinsettia. Then I can have the courgette green for the leaves, and put a spot of very pale orange on the petals for a bit of colour.

Next up I used the sketch at Friday Sketchers, which I turned sideways as it sat better with the flower image, and finally at Bee Crafty they want to see distressing, so I have inked up round the edges of the card and the papers. Hope that will do. . .



To make the flower 3d, I printed out three flowers, and cut out the top layers of my drawing. I used inks and daubers to colour one layer green, and the left the other two white with little faint daubs of the orange for the petals. Then I scored along the centre of each petal and folded it, but not quite to the very centre. Then I bent them back at the point where the round middle bit is, and placed them atop of one another with some foam pads between for extra depth. Lastly I cut the centre out and daubed orange on that, and put some glistening snow writer round the petals and in the middle.


The backing papers are from Tinker & Co. If anyone is interested, I will be popping the Poinsettia flower on my Delicious Doodles shop when I upload my next lot of doodles in a couple of days time.

18 comments:

brenda said...

This very nice Teri, love the simplist elegance you have created with the flower together with the subltle blend of colours.

Thank you for joining us at Rosie D's.

B x

Rosie (Freycob) said...

Oh Teri! That Poinsettia is so dramatic - it's fab!

Thanks for joining us at Rosie D's this week. Hope to see you again on Sunday.

Rosie
x

PaperCrafty said...

Beautiful card Teri!! I LOVE your new poinsettia image!!

DottyJo said...

Wow Teri, this is amazing - it just looks beautiful! Jo x

Avril Ann said...

Beautiful Teri, love the ponsettia, will be looking out for that, and thanks for letting me know about my win, it is so gorgeous, Hugs Avril xx

Helen said...

Beautiful card!
Thanks for joining us at the SCSC!
Helen x

Terri's Cards N' More said...

Gorgeous flower, Ter. Was looking at all the digis in your shop. I don't know which ones to buy first. Can't wait to see what else you have been working on.

mulberry station said...

Very nice card Teri. I love the 3-D effect. I really like poinsettia's too.

Saskia said...

Wow Teri!!!! Your card is so beautiful!! Lovely work!! Thanks for joining us at Rosie-D's!

Saskia :)

PatR said...

Great Teri, you are so talented. I love 3D creations and this is brilliant.
Pat xx

Kim said...

Stunning flower! I so love this one! The shimmer is just perfect on it! Love the ribbon and the papers used! Fantastic job!
Blessings,
Kim xXx

Maria Matter said...

beautiful flower and card Teri!!!
Blessings, Maria

Lynda said...

Wow Teri I love your big poinsettia - I just adore big flowers on cards and love the colours here too.

Love Lynda xxx

Darlene (SCS:akronstamperdpk) said...

Oh My Goodness ... I CAN'T keep up with you & your creations ... WOWZA!! This is awesome ... love the dimension ... of course that is one of your specialities!! AWESOME JOB!!!

Michelle said...

This is amazing too Teri
You are so talented, I soo wish I could draw.
x Michelle

Jane Carroll said...

lovely card

thanks for joining us this week on SCSC :)

Hugs Jane x

Cathy said...

Fabulous cards, and great use of orange. Love the flower.
Thank you for joining in my colour challenge at SCSC this week.
Cathy xx

Bee said...

Lovely card Teri with a great 3D element, I really like this folded flower effcet on cards. Ink distressing is a great approach too as it allows for lots of creativity. Thanks for joining in the Bee Crafty Challenge :)